Lucky for Boss, new Italian hotspots are springing up all over the city.
These days, it’s all about who can craft the best homemade pasta. Let Boss decide between Bucato in Culver City, Superba in Venice, or Bestia and now Factory Kitchen in the rising Arts District of Downtown LA.
Factory Kitchen is the work of Chef Angela Auriana (Valentino, San Francisco) and Restaurateur Matteo Ferdinandi (Spago, Cut and Drago) and serves Northern Italian fare in a 3,000-square-foot dining room.
Yes, it’s an Italian restaurant in a warehouse just blocks away from the beloved Bestia, but it lays lower than its neighbor, playing to a slightly older crowd who are more inclined towards music you can hear over, and lighter, more traditional dishes.
When it comes to Factory Kitchen, tell Boss it’s all about the handkerchief pasta – formally known as mandilli. It’s green, smothered in pesto, thickened with almonds and is comprised of what is essentially one giant length of flattened, edible silk.
P.S. If you want to keep up… Use my favorite tool. Follow my blog with Bloglovin.
1300 Factory Place #101
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Corkage: Up to two bottles at $20 for labels not present on their wine list
Sunday – Monday
5:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Tuesday – Thursday
5:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
Friday – Saturday
5:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
MAR, 11, 2014
– peperu – soft cheese stuffed sweet and spicy peppers, grana padano, arugula oil 8
– pancotto – duck egg, red potato vellutata, sautéed greens, semolina bread crostone, speck 9
– insalata – orange, fennel, frisée, arugula, taggia olives, lemon~chili dressing 11
– ortolana – field greens, spring onion, radicchio, dates, goat cheese, champagne vinaigrette 12
– brodetto – steamed littlenecks clams, mussels, garlic, organic garbanzo beans, clams water 14
– cremosella – creamy mozzarella, sweet peas salad, ligurian oil 15
..to continue or share…..
– frittura – baby leek, beer~batter, chickpea fritters 10
– barberosse gratinate – oven baked sliced beets casserole, melted asiago 10
– prosciutto – parma prosciutto 24 months, lightly fried sage dough, stracciatella 18
focaccina calda di recco al formaggio
– tradizionale – crescenza, arugula, ligurian olive oil 17
– pizzata – crescenza, san marzano tomato, capers, anchovies, oregano 18
– cotto – crescenza, imported ham, ligurian olive oil, rosemary 19
to begin italian style…..
– casonzei – veal, pork, sausage filled pasta, cured pork, butter, sage 19
– mandilli di seta – handkerchief pasta, ligurian almond basil pesto 19
– schiaffoni – gragnano pasta, red onion, octopus, mussels, crustacean spicy brodo 19
– pappardelle – taggia olives speckled pasta, lamb ragú, italian parsley 20
– picagge – chestnut infused long egg~pasta, wild boar sugo 20
– modenesi – parma prosciutto 24 months, black truffle butter 22
from the sea and land…..
– dentice – seared pink snapper, taggia olives, basil, san marzano 26
– pescatrice – pan sautéed monkfish, aromatic bread, aleppo pepper, asparagus puree 27
– rombo – pan sauteed imported turbot, shallots, potato rosemary, vermentino 28
– potacchio – slow braised chicken thigh, sautéed breast, onion, san marzano 22
– porchetta – rolled pork belly, herbs, red onion, carrots, fennel, celery 25
– orecchia di elefante – almond breaded pork loin chop, pea tendrils 27
– vitellone – pan seared veal loin, roasted bone marrow, fava beans, orange zest, natural jus 29
– duetto di manzo – slow braised beef cheeks, charred flat iron, steak red onion~nebbiolo sauce 34
to add on…..
– patate novelle – oven roasted new potatoes, fine herbs 5
– cipolline – warm glazed small onions casserole, agro dolce 5
– ortaggi all’agro – steamed kale, green chard, spinach, shallot, ligurian olive oil 6
– cime di rape – broccoli di cicco, shallots, crushed chili flakes 6
serving you at the stove
matteo ferdinandi angelo auriana
suggesting your wine